JPL Readers Resources -
Award Winners -
Comic Publishers -
News, Zines & Mags -
Other Lists & Sources
Next Reads™ Newsletters
Want to receive newsletters listing some of the hottest books recently published? Subscribe to a NextReads™ newsletter and have a list emailed directly to you!
We the People
A program to encourage young people to read and understand great literature while exploring themes in American history.
- Multicultural Recommended Reading List
- Recommended multicultural reading materials, from grades 5+
- Resources for Readers
- Recommended websites, eBooks as well as online resources geared towards readers and more!
- Alex Awards
- The top 10 books written for adults that have special appeal to teens, from the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Best Books for Young Adults
- Selected fiction and nonfiction titles that exemplify good literary quality and popular reading appeal for teens, from the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Coretta Scott King Award
- Presents annual awards to Black authors and illustrators of children's books who have promoted “better understanding and appreciation of the culture and contribution of all peoples to the realization of the American dream.” Awarded by the Coretta Scott King Book Award Committee of the American Library Association’s (ALA) Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT).
- John Newbery Medal
- The Newbery Medal honors the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children. Awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Michael L. Printz Award
- Awarded to the best teen book of the year by the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Mildred L. Batchelder Award
- The Batchelder Award is awarded to an American publisher for a children's book considered to be the most outstanding of those books originally published in a foreign language in a foreign country, and subsequently translated into English and published in the United States. Awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Pura Belpré award
- The Belpré Medals honor a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose works best portray, affirm, and celebrate the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. It is co-sponsored by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association (ALA) and the National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-Speaking (REFORMA), an ALA Affiliate.
- Quick Picks
- New books that may appeal to the reluctant reader, Awarded by the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA)
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Medal
- The Sibert Medal honors the author of the most distinguished informational book published during the preceding year. Awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Scott O'Dell Award
- Awarded to a meritorious book of historical fiction for children or teens. The award was established in 1982 by Scott O'Dell and selections are made yearly by an award Committee.
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award Program
- The Sunshine State Young Reader's Award Program is a statewide reading motivation program for students in grades 3-8. The program is cosponsored by the School Library Media Services Office of the Department of Education and the Florida Association for Media in Education (FAME).
- Anime Cafe
- Includes anime reviews, a message forum, trivia and an anime encyclopedia.
- Antarctic Press Comics
- One of the largest publishers of American-produced manga, including Ninja High School.
- Manga University
- Tips and tutorials to improve your manga-drawing skills.
- Official site of U.S. manga publisher of Fruits Basket, Loveless, Princess Ai, DNAngel, and many more.
- The website for the largest U.S publisher of manga, specializing in imports of Japanese original material.
- Comic Book Resources
- Over 2000 sites for comic book fans.
- Comics Continuum
- News on the comic book industry, including movie crossovers.
- Comicon Pulse
- Comics news, opinion, and insight
- No Flying No Tights
- Bimonthly reviews of graphic novels for teens.
- Dark Horse Comics
- Home of Emily the Strange and Hellboy and holds comics licenses for many hot movie properties, including Aliens, Predator, and Star Wars.
- DC Comics
- Superheroes and other classic characters, Elfquest, and Mad Magazine. You can also download icons, wallpapers and sneak peeks of upcoming issues, and learn about the artists behind the comics.
- Features the work of artists such as R. Crumb, Peter Bagge, Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez, Dan Clowes, Joe Sacco, Chris Ware, Jessica Abel and others.
- Image Comics
- Comics and graphic novels publisher formed in 1992 by seven of Marvel Comics' best-selling artists. Home of Spawn and Savage Dragon.
- Marvel Comics
- Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and more!
- NBM Graphic Novels
- An ‘alternative’ publisher in comics.
News, Zines & Mags
JPL News & Current Events
Check out Jacksonville Public Library's main News and Current Events
site. Chock full of great
links for local and national news, sports, TV, radio, and international news sources, to name a few.
- Smart Girl
- Site for teen girls to express themselves, share ideas and advice and more. Sponsored by the NationalScience Foundation and the University of Michigan.
- Spank Mag
- Youth culture defined by youth. News, fun forums, reviews and more.
- Teen Central
- A place to get teen help for teen problems. What's it like being a teen today? Who knows better than other teens. Created by KidsPeace.
- Teen Ink
- A magazine written by and for teens, giving you the opportunity to publish your creative work and opinions on the issues that affect your lives.
- Seventeen Magazine
- Online version of the mag. Quizzes, games, news, celebs, poetry, and more. Owned by Hearst Corporation.
- Teens Forum - for Girls
- Site covering teen girl interests, boys, prom, body and soul, entertainment and more. Sponsored by womensforum.com.
- A place you can come to let your opinion loose, play games, make stuff, and hang out. This site is operated by Noggin LLC, a division of Viacom International, and is a companion to The N TV.
Other Lists & Sources
- Genrefluent Homepage
- Huge list of new teen fiction book reviews by Diane Trixier Herald.
- Guys Read
- “Check out this site dedicated to what guys are reading. Find a book, vote ona book, or check out what books other guys voted on as ‘Readworthy’.”
- Lit2Go is a free online collection of stories and poems in Mp3 (audiobook) format. You can download the files to your Mp3 player and listen on the go,
listen to the Mp3 files on your computer, view the text on a webpage and read along as you listen, print out the stories and poems to make your own book.
- One Billion Poets
- The goal is for teens around the world to post and discuss poetry related to the teenage experience in the 21st century (their hopes, dreams, burdens, joys, etc.)
- Outstanding Books for the College Bound
- A core list that includes fiction, biography, nonfiction, drama, and poetry. Titles are selected that will inspire readers to think about life, universal truths, and the human experience. Selected and revised every five years by the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Popular Paperbacks
- Selected for their popular appeal to teens, separated into different genres and themes. Includes both fiction and nonfiction. Awarded by the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
- Reading Rants!
- Out of the ordinary teen booklists.
- Selected Audiobooks
- Awarded to selected audiobooks for the quality of their recording, Awarded by the Young Adult Library Service Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA)
- Student Book Reviews and Discussion
- Children read and contribute book reviews to share with other students.
- Teen Reads Website
- Large site of popular teen book reviews, author information and interviews, and more.
- Teens' Top Ten
- A list of popular new books nominated by teens throughout the country.