Among the many resources Jacksonville Public Library makes available to the public are electronic books, specialized databases, recommended websites, and newspaper and magazine collections.
for Remote Access)
- Covers topics such as immediate news and business affairs.
- Covers topics ranging from ancient history to biographies of notable persons.
- Covers topics related to education, as well as databases designed for use by children.
- Covers topics such as poetry, short fiction, novels, non-fiction, and what to read next.
- Health & Wellness
- Covers health and medicine.
- General Information
- Provides encyclopedic and dictionary-style information.
- Spanish Language
- Information in Spanish, includes general news as well as educational and ethnic interests.
- Hot Titles at the Library
- Lists of bestsellers, award winners and other popular items available for holds via JAXCAT. Lists include the NY Times Bestsellers and Hugo, Newbery, and Pulitzer Prizes.
- Books & Libraries Recommended Links
- Recommended sites on books from different genres such as Romance and Science Fiction, Literature, Poetry, and more.
- Suggested Reading for Younger Readers
- Suggested Summer reading material for younger readers, from the Duval County School Board. Also has information useful for parents in developing children's reading levels.
- Suggested Author List
- A page crafted by JPL Librarians to promote early reading.
Florida's Just Read, Families!
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- A collection of downloadable reference eBooks available from the Florida Electronic Library and Jacksonville Public Library, the Virtual Reference Library includes MacMillan's Biology, the Gale Encyclopedias on Alternative Medicine, Cancer, Genetic Disorders, Medicine, Multicultural America, Popular Culture, World of Earth Science, and Beacham's Guide to the Endangered Species of North America and as of 11/2010, 205 new titles.
- Email Book Preview
- Join our Online Book Clubs and start reading books in your email!
- NetLibrary eBook Checkout
- Nearly 3,500 texts are available.
- A volunteer effort, it is the largest collection of free electronic books (eBooks) in the world. Most texts are public domain items, such as Shakespeare, classic Greco-Roman texts, and more.
- Newspaper Collection
- A listing of newspapers collected by JPL available in print and on microfilm.
- Florida Newspapers Online
- Direct links to the online editions of over fifty Florida newspapers.
- Recommended Newslinks
- News sites recommended by JPL staff.
Lists of recommended websites ranging from the Arts to Hurricanes to Travel & Leisure.
- Search Engines
- A list of search engines from KartOO to Google.
- Subject Directories
- A list of resources where topics are created by librarians and subject specialists.
- A list of web-based email providers and more.
- Internet Guides & How-Tos
- Guides and workbooks designed to help people use the Internet.
- Internet Security
- Links to sources that provide computer security software.
- Links to sources that help find advanced information on the Web.
- Wireless Internet
- The wireless access that JPL provides to all visitors.