Society & Culture
All databases are accessible from non-Library computers except where noted.
Many resources accessible from home will require the use of a valid JPL Library Card.
For a printable list of our databases, click here.
Remote Access problems?
- The African American Experience (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- The widest-ranging and easiest-to-use online collection on African American life ever assembled. Provides rock-solid information from authorities in the field and allows African Americans to speak for themselves through a wealth of primary sources. Drawing on over 400 volumes, and designed under the guidance of leading librarians, this database gives voice to the black experience from its African origins to the present day.
- The American Mosaic:
The African American Experience (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
The Latino American Experience (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
The American Indian Experience (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- Wide-ranging and easy to use, the American Mosaic is the first-ever full-text database to focus on the history and culture of African Americans, U.S. Latinos, and American Indians. The Mosaic combines the award-winning African American Experience, the groundbreaking Latino American Experience,and the robust American Indian Experience with content that spans the centuries.
- Daily Life Through History (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- This is a cross-disciplinary resource that supports history, social studies, English, and language students. Moves seamlessly from past to present, providing context for contemporary life and culture. Shows how fascinating and fun it is to explore how others lived and live their lives, and how their lives shaped ours. (Daily Life Through History and Daily Life America databases are now combined.
Multiproduct Home Page
Pop Culture Universe
Daily Life Through History
The African American Experience
The Latino American Experience
The American Indian Experience
- Issues: Understanding Controversy and Society (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- This database helps students develop an in-depth understanding of how society shapes and is shaped by controversy, providing authoritative historical context, expert perspectives, and carefully selected primary and secondary sources on today's most important issues.
- The Latino American Experience (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- The first-ever full-text database focusing on the history and culture of Latinos living in the United States. Content spans from the pre-Columbian Indigenous civilizations of the Americas, through the Spanish and Mexican settlement of much of what is now the United States, to the triumphs and challenges facing present-day U.S. Latinos.
Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context is the premier online resource covering today’s hottest social issues, from Offshore Drilling to Climate Change, Health Care to Immigration. Opposing Viewpoints in Context helps students research, analyze and organize a broad variety of data for conducting research, completing writing assignments, preparing for debates, creating presentations and more.
- Pop Culture eCollection
- This collection provides useful information for any researcher in a social science, history, art or liberal arts course. This collection is made up of more than 100 subject-appropriate full-text periodicals.
Popular Culture Universe: Icons / Idols / Ideas (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- The PCU Decades Pages are one-stop guides to the icons, idols, and ideas of each decade from the 1920s to today. They provide helpful overviews to each decade as well as quick reference lists of the major films, movie stars, TV shows, songs, books, Broadway shows, awards, fads, new products, discoveries and inventions, new words and phrases, fashion trends, sports champions and awards, and obituaries for each year within each decade.
- Praeger Security International (PSI)
- Praeger Security International Online (PSIO) is a one-stop source for information on terrorism and security, covering regional security, humanitarian and peace operations, weapons of mass destruction, armed forces, intelligence, military history, defense and national security, and military affairs.
World Book Online Super Homepage
- The World Book Web is a suite of online research tools that includes encyclopedia articles, primary source collections, educator tools, student activities, pictures, audio, and video, complemented by current periodicals and related Web sites.
Click widget to access database and 'More Information about site' to discover what information the site contains.
World Folklore and Folklife
Provides an exciting and accessible way to explore the vast and growing treasury of folklore, which permeates the everyday lives of people around the world. Covers holidays, festivals, language, stories and fairy tales, proverbs, foodways, and folk remedies that define our society and our place within it.
World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras covers early human history around the globe—from prehistoric times to the beginnings of the Renaissance.
World History: The Modern Era (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
World History: The Modern Era is the latest update of the reference standard of electronic history reference materials for high school and high-level middle school coursework.
World Book Online for Kids is the first site developed specifically for primary school aged patrons, with such features as:
• Thousands of easy-to-read articles
• Engaging images and illustrations
• Interactive games and activities
• Interactive maps
• Outline maps and flags
• A biography center
• Science projects
• Teacher resources