Jacksonville Public Library Customer Code of Conduct
The Board of Trustees of the Jacksonville Public Library, by adopting the following code,
seeks to ensure that our library provides an atmosphere conducive to appropriate use of
its services and facilities. This code is supported by related library policies and procedures.
We expect our customers to:
- Attend to personal belongings. The Library is not responsible for personal belongings left in or on
- Use restrooms only for their intended purpose. Bathing is prohibited.
- Wear shoes and shirts.
- Maintain bodily hygiene in a manner that does not constitute a nuisance to other persons.
- Use covered containers when bringing beverages into library buildings and comply with posted
‘No Food’ and ‘No Drink’ zones.
- Use library furniture, equipment and materials for their intended function.
- Accompany any child under age 8. A parent or caregiver is responsible for the safety and
well being of their children on library property.
- Follow established loan procedures or authorizations before taking Library property or materials
from the building.
- Cooperate with staff and allow belongings to be searched.
- Use all library areas, including library parking areas, sidewalks and lawns, safely.
- Use auditoriums or meeting rooms in accordance with the JPL Meeting Room policy.
- Stay out of non-public areas.
- Leave the library at the designated closing time.
- Refrain from solicitation of any kind for any purpose unless it is a Library sanctioned event.
The following actions and forms of conduct are not permitted:
- Harassing or speaking abusively to library staff or customers.
- Mutilating or destroying library buildings, materials or equipment.
- Bringing animals and pets into the library, with the exception of service animals.
- Loitering outside the building in a way that creates a reasonable concern for the safety of persons
or property as set forth in § 614.106, Ord. Code, § 856.021, F.S.
- Behaving in an unlawful, disruptive or potentially harmful manner.
- Blocking or interfering with the movement of individuals or bringing in items larger than
26”Lx16”Wx16”H, or present a potential danger.
- Engaging in sexual activity of any kind, sexual harassment or indecent exposure.
- Consuming or possessing alcohol, illegal drugs or being under the influence.
- Monopolizing library equipment, materials or facilities preventing others from using them.
- Carrying illegal weapons of any type.
- Disturbing other customers with noise producing activities.
- Damaging, destroying or stealing any customer’s or employee’s property.
Violation of the Library Customer Code of Conduct
The library reserves the right to require anyone violating the Library Customer Code of Conduct to leave the
library. Anyone who is required to leave the library due to a violation of the Library Customer Code of Conduct
will not be permitted in the library for the remainder of the day. Serious or repeated misconduct may lead to
legal action or criminal prosecution.
The Board of Library Trustees considers the following activities to be serious violations of the Library Customer
Code of Conduct.
- sexual activity of any kind, sexual harassment or indecent exposure
- consumption or possession of alcohol or illegal drugs
- possession of illegal weapons of any type
- mutilating or destroying library buildings, materials or equipment
- repeated offenses of any kind
Anyone who engages in these activities will be required to leave the library.
Serious activity violations will result in the suspension of an individual’s library
privileges and being permanently barred from all County Libraries for one year.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees on November 15, 2006.
Revisions approved on March 10, 2011
FOR A PRINTABLE VERSION
OF THIS DOCUMENT,